Thursday, July 3, 2008

Japan


I arrived in Japan about three weeks ago and have been totally floored since then. Life has been an extremely busy combination of working and getting to know Japanese customs, language and the city I live in.

Japan is an amazingly different place and one can tell this as soon as they step off the plane and into the airport bathroom. The toilets have what look to be a keyboard of controls on the side of them. When you sit down you realize this is not just a normal toilet, the seats are heated. Undoubtebly one of the controls which you can't read determines just how warm the seat is. I arrived at the beginning of the hot season, and needed no seat warming, but during the winter.... it would be rather nice. Not knowing how to turn it down or even off for that matter, you just make do. The next thing you notice it the picture of a butt with water being sprayed at it, assumably supposed to be your butt, with a button next to it. Well, not just one button, but four. Two for pressure, and two for type of spray. For those of you new to a toilet with a bedet let me suggest a low pressure and the spray that looks like a steady stream, that is, if you are brave enough to try it.

The next thing you will probably notice about Japan, is everyone is Japanese. This sounds a little funny to say, but coming from the States where diversity is a thing of life, we hardly notice it anymore. It is a different story in Japan. Everyone is Japanese. I am in a diverse city and besides my American co-workers I probably see two non-Japanese people a day. It is tough to make this point without the reader actually experiencing it, because I am sure you are saying to yourself, "well, duh." To truely understand what this feels like, you must come visit. The Japanese for the most part fit the stereotype of being shorter than the average American, but not being that tall myself, I don't really notice this too much. Also, it seems to me that there is a little more conformity to an average height, right around 5'8" or so. The women on the other hand are much more varied from under 5' up to 5'8" and more, but you always have to check the size of their heels, because they will fit that size 5 foot into a 4 inch heel.

Food. Get ready for a taste explosion. Nothing tastes the same, and by no means does that mean it tastes bad. I have been on a strict Japanese food diet since I've been here (for three whole weeks I know) and that includes an egg, ham, cucumber, and some secret sauce sandwhich I got from a Lawson's (24 hour convenience store like 7/11) up to a fancy "Japanese/Itailian" fusion cusuine. It is all good and interesting and as long as you keep an open mind to it all, very enjoyable. I had a conversation with one of my students about a trip he took to the States. He made a comment about our menu's not having pictures. This was actually something I have been thinking about since I have been here. I won't go into a place that doesn't have its menu outside and the menu has pictures on it, because I can't speak Japanese nor can I read it and I would be lost to try and order something. I would probably walk into a vegetarian restuarant and order a steak. That being said, restuarant owners are some of the nicest people you will meet in Japan. Always big smiles and helpful on which sauces to use and generally make you feel comfortable and welcome. The smaller the place and the less foriegners they see, the more true this typically is.

The Japanese are very interested in foriegners. This actually makes things much easier. Even when you go into a new place, where they don't speak English and don't have English menus you can still get by and have a great time. Tonight I went into a bar/restuarant that had an English name thinking it would owned/run by someone who spoke decent English. Oh was I wrong. But it didn't matter, everyone was very interested in talking with me, even in the limited communication we could get through that it made for a comfortable atmosphere the entire time I was there. I had a couple beers, some stir fried chicken in the most amazing sauce, a "tsuna sando" that was absolutely amazing, and a Japanese apricot that was soaked (maybe for weeks, who knows) in schotu... a Japanese liquer. It was interesting to say the least, kinda like a vodka watermelon if you have ever made one, but worse. Anyway, I spent two hours there, and never felt alone even through the language barrier. They are also interested in the way that they tend to stare. This seems a little weird at first, but if you lived in a country that was 99.99% one race it would be a little weird to you as well so see someone different. I like to make a game out of trying to see who will actually make eye contact with me. Problem is, when it happens, I am a little dumb founded on what to do and what to say... interesting situation to say the least.

Something I heard while I have been here is that Japan is the most convenient country in the world and it really is something I have come to agree with. "Convenience" stores dominate the Japanese city landscape. They come in many different names but all basically offer the same service, cheap and easy food for the single person or worker on the go. It is very common to pick up a bento (a type of TV dinner that is made fresh and kept cold but not frozen) at a Lawson's, 7/11, or Family Mart for about $4 and make that your dinner. This is especially nice for the traveler who is a little affraid of trying to order food in a restuarant and would rather take their time perusing the selection at their local conveny. This food being much better fare than you would find at your own local 7/11. Of course you can also find whatever else your heart desires in the form of necessities like toilet paper, razors, batteries, umbrellas (which I own three of), etc. Basically, because these are the norm, what we would think of as a normal grocery store are less common. They exist and the Japanese use them, but to make a point, Japan is the size of California and throughout Japan there are over 12,000 7/11's alone, this number doesn't include any of the other convenience stores. In the entire U.S. there are around 6,200 7/11's.

Ingenuity. The Japanese will not be out done on this one. They may not create a whole lot, but they are good at making things better. They have great ideas and a culture that allows follow through. The idea that American backpackers use of pack in pack out is how the entire country views trash. I have yet to see a proper trash can on the street. The idea, and it works, is that you take your own trash home with you. A rather good idea I thinks. We have trash cans everywhere, and still people can't seem to use them. Another idea I am facinated with, and maybe those who live in wetter climates are used to this but me being a California boy I have never seen it before, is the use of plastic bags that are the perfect size for your umbrella. Every store has these in the entrance during the rainy season. A rather wonderful idea. And, on your way out, a trash can to put the bag in. Helps quite a bit with wet floors, but again, only an idea that works if the entire culture beleaves in it.

Sayonara for now. (Bye Bye as they actually say.)

2 comments:

*merissie* said...

Wow! It sounds like such an adventure for you...! So glad you are doing well. Keep the updates coming! xo

-President of the PHFC

NinjaGinga said...

omoshiroi! I cant wait! except for the being tall part...ugh. I may have to learn to wear flats.